From Academy Bylaws:
Article III, Section 1. Membership shall be by invitation of the Board of Governors. Invitations to active membership shall be limited to those persons active in the motion picture arts and sciences, or credited with screen achievements, or who have otherwise achieved distinction in the motion picture arts and sciences and who, in the opinion of the Board, are qualified for membership.
To be considered for invitation to membership in the Production and Technology Branch of the Academy, a candidate must:
(a) have been actively engaged for the past eight years in the theatrical motion picture arts and sciences in a key creative or technical position, and meet criteria in one of the following two classifications.
• have credited roles on at least eight theatrical feature films which, in the opinion of the executive committee, reflect the high standards of the Academy, in the following roles:
o Stunt Coordinator
o Script Supervisor
o Choreographer/Movement Director
o Music Supervisor
o Line Producer
o Colorist (lead only if multiple colorists)
o Associate Producer responsible for post, or
• have served for five consecutive years in a Head Production position such as:
o Head of Visual Effects Production
o Head of Post-Production
o Head of Virtual Production
o Head of Music
o Head of Sound
o Head of Editorial
o Head of Production Services
o Head of Title Design
o CEO or Head of product development in key industry supplier companies, or
• have served for five consecutive years in Head Technical position such as:
o Head of Preservation and/or Restoration
o Head of Technology
o Chief Technical Officer, or
• have made scientific and/or technological contributions which produced leading creative tools and/or systems for the crafts involved in the creation of the theatrical motion picture experience, or
• have received an Academy Scientific and Technical Award, or
• have had direct involvement in the last eight years, not solely in an administrative position, in the preservation and/or restoration of legacy and current content of the moving image and/or recorded sound, or
(b) have, in the judgment of the Production and Technology Executive Committee, achieved unique distinction, earned special merit, or made an outstanding contribution to the arts or sciences of motion pictures in the above described areas.
Proposals must be accompanied by a letter from each sponsor which addresses, as specifically as possible, how the candidate meets one or another of the requirements above.