Edgar G. Ulmer Collection

AFA Collection - Edgar G. Ulmer Collection

Edgar G. Ulmer, known as “the King of the B’s,” worked for over 30 years as the director of mostly low-budget titles, including a number of Yiddish-language and race films. He is most known for his cut-rate yet masterful film noir, “Detour” (1945) and one of the most stylish and entertaining of Universal’s horror cycle, “The Black Cat” (1934). This collection was donated to the Archive, starting in 1998, by Ulmer’s daughter, Arianne Ulmer-Cipes. It consists of 162 items, including 16mm and 35mm prints of Ulmer’s features, trailers, production material for his feature “Hannibal” (1959), video masters for a number of films, and third-party biographical material.

The film material at the Academy Film Archive is complemented by material in the Edgar G. Ulmer papers at the Academy’s Margaret Herrick Library.

Viewing Request Form